Software Developer & Engineering Leader
A thoughtful technical leader with over 10 years experience building successful web applications, with a focus on nonprofits and companies that make the world a better place. I thrive in a passionate collaborative team, driven by users needs and with freedom to make things better.
Basis – Lead Developer
2019 - Present. Remote.
Basis is an early stage startup working on a new model for mental health. I joined as the second developer.
- Implemented a minimal agile dev process, metrics, and continuous delivery pipeline for fast, high quality releases, with increased visibility.
- Launched on-demand video coaching product.
- Optimized booking process leading to 4x increase in conversions.
- Improved matching of clients to specialists to reduce unfulfilled sessions.
- Supported and mentored other developers.
Ushahidi – CTO
2015 - 2018. Remote.
Ushahidi is an open-source crowdsourcing platform to collect, manage, visualize, and respond to data from marginalized people or people in crisis situations.
- Led and mentored a distributed development team, building an open, collaborative and engaged culture.
- Grew the dev team from 5 to 10 developers spread across 6 countries.
- Moved the dev team to a sustainable agile dev process. Resulting in shorter, more predictable time to release, closer integration with product and design, and a more stable product.
- Led migration from a legacy software stack and infrastructure to modern replacements. Resulting in faster, more stable development, and reduced infrastructure costs.
- Created a long term plan to iteratively reduce technical debt, improve architecture and tooling while continuing to deliver value to product teams.
Ushahidi – Senior Developer
2012 - 2015. Remote.
I joined Ushahidi in 2012 to lead development of client projects. In 2014 I led development of a new iteration of Ushahidi software.
- Led the rebuild of Ushahidi’s open-source crowdsourcing tool.
- Launched SaaS edition of Ushahidi based on our open-source product.
- Technical contact and lead developer on client projects.
- Working within and improving an existing legacy code base over time.
- Deployed, managed and monitored infrastructure for client projects.
Torchbox Ltd – Drupal Web Developer
2010 - 2011. Oxford, UK.
Torchbox is a digital agency building websites and application for people trying to make the world a better place.
- Developed complex Drupal based sites for charities and nonprofits.
- Scaling and optimising complex Drupal sites through a combination of static caching (with varnish and nginx) and improved app level caching.
- Building tools for fast, standardised development and deployment.
Greenpeace New Zealand – Web Developer
2009 - 2010. Auckland, NZ.
Joined Greenpeace NZ in 2009 as their first full time developer, initially focussed on supporting a large online campaign around climate change.
- Developed multiple web applications and websites.
- Managing websites and social media feeds during high traffic live events.
- Deployed and optimized online fundraising tools for increased donations.
- Security testing and fixes on legacy web apps.
Engineers Without Borders NZ – Web manager (Volunteer)
2008 - 2010. Auckland, NZ.
Freelance - Web Developer
2002 - 2009. NZ.
Worked as a freelance web developer part time while studying and then full time for a year. Developed a range of websites and applications for small businesses.
Genesis Interactive – Web Developer
Summer 2007 - 2008. Auckland, NZ.
Navman – Software Testing Engineer
Summer 2006 - 2007. Auckland, NZ.
University of Auckland. Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Systems).